Thursday, June 3, 2010

TEACH ME THURSDAY –PVC Pipe Playhouse

Ok, I cannot even tell you how excited I am about this tutorial!  Back in April (can you believe April was so long ago?!), Cammie and I kicked butt and made the most amazing PVC pipe playhouses EVER!  I know what you’re thinking, big deal!  PVC pipe playhouses are all over the web.  True, but I can all but guarantee you that you won’t find a decent tutorial out there!  Lots of super cute pictures, but no solid tut!  Trust me, we searched!  We even thought we found the perfect one…WRONG!  So, this tutorial represents A LOT of brain work from us!  But it’s totally worth it, because the 2 playhouses we built totally ROCK!  And since we’ve done all the thinking, all you will have to do is the cutting, building and sewing!

Here’s the one for my kiddos (and for this tutorial):

emsplayhouse

Materials:
6 10-ft. (1/2-in. thick) PVC pipes
These PVC fittings:
joints amounts(*NOTE* the three way elbow and the adaptor screw together to act as one fitting.)
1 pair of PVC pipe cutters ($10-$15)

PVC-Pipe-Cutter
3 twin sized sheets, or equal yardage in fabric
Anything used for embellishing (scrap fabric, ribbon, buttons, etc.)

Directions:
1.  Screw together all three-way elbows and adapters.

2.  Cut pipe to following lengths:

(10) 40 1/4-in
(4) 25 1/2-in
(2) 33 3/4-in
(1) 31 3/4-in
cut pipe

3.  From the left over pipe, cut 8 pieces about 3-in long.  These will be used as joiners.
connector

4.  Build the base of the house using 4 of the 40 1/4-in cut pipe and 4 of the three-way elbows.
base base joint
5.  Add 4 more of the 40 1/4-in cut pipe for the sides—in each of the corners—standing straight up.

6.  Attach a three-way elbow to each of the upright pipes.  To each of the elbows attach a joiner, a tee, a joiner, and a 45 degree elbow like in the picture (sorry, it’s a bit blurry):
roof

7.  Add the remaining 40 1/4-in cut pipe and the 33 3/4-in cut pipe to finish the top, like this:
box Make sure the 45 degree elbows face each other.

8.  To form the roof, add each of the 25 1/2-in cut pipe to the 45 degree elbows.  Attach a three-way elbow to the ends to secure:
roof angles (ignore the basketball hoop in the background!  I was setting this up in my son’s room!)

9.  To complete the roof, add the 31 3/4-in cut pipe between the three-way elbows:
bones

10.  Now, at this point, it may be worth while to number everything so that you can set it all back up again once you take it down.  Do a number match—every piece connects to another piece so the numbers should all match, like this:
base joint

11.  Now comes the creative part!  Using the sheets, or fabric, drape and pin (wrong side facing out) the base of the house first.  Sew where you’ve pinned.  Decide where you want the windows and door, and mark and cut.  This part is totally up to you, and figuring out what you want/like.  I have no idea how to translate what we did into coherent instructions!  It’s a lot of draping and pinning and sewing, over and over!  But, the trick is to complete the base first, then attach the roof last.  This way there’s less fabric to work with on your sewing machine.  Good luck!!  If you have any questions, leave a comment or email!

emsplayhouse

inside
When completely built, the playhouse is about 64-inches tall (just over 5 ft!) and 42-inches (3 1/2 ft.) square.  It’s the perfect size!  My little guy here is 2 1/2 years old.  He easily fits with all his friends and/or cousins!  They LOVE it!

And, just for fun, Cammie made a slightly bigger house…here’s what hers looks like:cammiesplayhouse

Well, that’s the tutorial.  I hope it all makes sense!  I was able to come out of this project spending under $50!  (cheaper if you don’t have to buy the cutters)  And this playhouse will last forever, as will the memories!

-Emily


Visit thecsiproject.com

13 comments:

  1. What a great and fun idea!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO cool! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great project! I love that you can make it in any shape and use any material. Very creative!

    Thanks so much for linking up to The CSI Project's hardware Store Challenge! We hope you will come back next week for the Martha Stewart-inspired challenge -- The MS Craft Department are our guest judges!!!

    XOXO
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marking for my "someday" file! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the detailed tutorial girls!! I have been wanting to do a pvc house and could not find a decent tutorial until seeing this one... I am off to the hardware store!
    AND.. RE: Strawberry freezer jam - I concur!! My grandmother made it as does my mom and I have continued the tradition... it's Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job! I'm trying to make one as a christmas gift for my 3 children. Can you tell me what the dimensions for the larger playhouse are? It looks like a great size for what I want to do.
    Thanks!
    email: cupcakesnbuttercream (at) gmail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really!The pictures look funny. So keep posting like this. Thanks...

    PVC joinery machines

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really great!! I'll try to do the same, keep to post great ideas like this!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am also curious to know the dimensions of the larger playhouse. if you could please email me at hbland15@gmail.com or respond to the blog I would appreciate it.

    I am looking to get this done this weekend :) Thanks soo much!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Could you please email the dimensions for the larger playhouse.
    Mrsfaher@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Quais são os comprimentos de cada tubo cortado ?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Buenos días
    Donde puedo comprar todo ese material?
    marilorascado@gmail.com
    Gracias

    ReplyDelete